Learn to Weave on a 4 Shaft Loom
Dates: This workshop takes place over six consecutive Thursday evenings from 5:30-8:30pm
Oct 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, Nov 5
*End times are approximate. We like everyone to have the opportunity to go home with a finished product.
Instructor: Kim McCollum
In this 6 week course participants will learn how to create their own handwoven scarf from start to finish. We will cover:
- how to choose fibers for warp and weft
- how to decide on an appropriate density of your cloth by choosing your sett
how to calculate fiber needs for both warp and weft how to make a warp
- how to dress a 4 shaft loom
- how to read a weaving draft (pattern)
- how to weave several different weave structures, including plain weave, twill, zigzag twill, and basket weave
- how to remove your project from the loom
- tips and tricks to weave well
- how to fix common problems
- how to complete your project when the cloth is off the loom.
- Detailed handout with workshop information provided
- All warp materials are included for this workshop
- *Participants will be responsible for purchasing their own weft materials once they have made a warp*
- Participants can choose to use their own loom or use a studio loom
Note* participants may need to complete some work outside of workshop hours.
Please make sure to read the FAQs on our website that outline our workshop cancellation policy before signing up.
PLEASE NOTE: It is important to us to keep you all safe! Participants may be required to wear a mask for the duration of the workshop according to government guidelines. Please do not come to your workshop if you may have been exposed to COVID-19 or are feeling unwell. In order to provide high quality workshops, our Workshop Policies remain the same even though last minute cancellations may be more likely due to the health crisis. We are not able to refund workshops. We are able to provide a store credit for workshops cancelled with 72 hrs notice. We are not able to provide a refund or store credit for cancellations with less than 72 hrs notice, even for participants who are feeling unwell. Thank you for your understanding.
Share this workshop with family or friends!